Friday, August 01, 2008

Meet Savannah Grace

My beautiful niece Savannah Grace made her grand debut into this world yesterday at 9:05pm weighing in at 7 pounds 15 ounces and 19 3/4 inches long! Can you believe my little, petite sister had such a big baby!! Sheridan was only 7 pounds 1 ounce and I'm the "tall" one in our family!

It was a long day for Sarah which began at 6:30am when they started giving her pitocin. Around 11:00am her doctor broke her water and by 1:30pm she was dilated to 4 cm and had her epidural. At 7:00pm the nurse told her she was dilated to 10 cm and they were bringing in the doctor and she would start pushing. When her doctor got there a little before 7:30 she said she was actually only 9cm and they were going to give her a little while and then discuss options if she wasn't at 10 cm. At 8:30pm they made the decision that Sarah would have a c-section because she was still only at 9 cm. When they started the procedure and the doctor saw how big Savannah was, she said they made the right call because there was just no way my sister could have delivered her.

When the nurse and Cal were coming down the hallway with Savannah on their way to the nursery, we all ran out of the waiting room and poor Savannah experienced her first paparazzi moment!

She was not happy about being removed from her warm, cozy blanket to be measured, have her temperature taken, Vitamin K shot, etc. But she calmed down so quickly in between being poked and prodded
She has dark hair just like her mom did when she was born and like her cousin Sheridan.

Getting her first bath and obviously enjoying every minute of it!

So much happier all bundled up

It was midnight before Sarah was moved and situated into her postpartum room. Rebel and I stayed outside the nursery keeping an eye on Savannah while everyone else helped moved all of Sarah and Cal's stuff to the new room. Savannah was such a good girl while she was in the nursery! She never cried, was very peaceful and just slept. So much for my theory that Sarah was going to have the little hellions in the family. Savannah is already proving me wrong on that!
And even though it was late, it wasn't too late to not hold our precious new baby! Rebel's first grandchild
Aunt Julie's turn
Needless to say, Sarah was exhausted last night and she was a little nauseous coming off of the anaesthesia. We talked to Sarah this morning and she's feeling a little better today. She fed Savannah once for a little bit during the night but mostly Savannah is just sleeping. WHAT?!?! I mean seriously! What newborn does that and how do I get one of those next time?

4 comments:

Shaunna said...

Congrats, Aunt Julie!! How exciting and she's beautiful :)

The Newton's said...

Thank you for this!! I was wondering when I would hear an update! I am so happy for you guys!!

Dawn :)

The Smallwood Family said...

Thanks for posting all of this, I love it! And thanks so much for being here and all your advice and meals, etc - such a great sister! We can't wait to introduce Savannah to her cousin.

Kelly said...

Oh, I would totally getting baby fever if I were you, Julie!