The other night Cameron sounded like he had been smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 50+ years. The coughing was out of control. So being the good, little wife that I am (and maybe I was slightly motivated by how annoying that cough was every two seconds) I went to Walgreens for some Robitussin CF and as a bonus to curing my husband's cough for 6 hours and a good nights sleep, got the pleasure of this conversation......
Julie: Placing the cough medicine (and a few other essentials...Burt's
Bees Lip Shimmer and cherry Chapstick) at the register, "Hello."
Cashier: Scanning the cough medicine, "You are over 18, right?"
Julie: Puzzled by the question and its relevance, "Uh....yeah." A few seconds later light bulb moment: oh yeah, kids these days like to get drunk off of cough syrup. Crazy kids. What will they think of next? I'm sure Sheridan will be first in line with a few ideas of her own. Proceed with swiping my debit card and completing the transaction.
Cashier: "Just be glad I don't ID this late at night."
Now usually I find it completely flattering when someone asks for my ID and I have to contain myself from tackling them with kisses. But dear readers, this was NOT one of those times! The cocky, threatening, unbelieving tone in his voice made me pretty sure that it wasn't meant as a compliment (not even a backhanded one) and few thoughts crossed my mind:
1. Why is he still talking about IDs? Let it go already.
2. Apparently I'm not the "young one" if he thinks 8:30pm is late. Maybe his boss should let him off early so he doesn't miss curfew.
3. Hmmm....or maybe that Oil of Olay firming night cream really is working! Excellent.
And this response almost came flying out of my mouth:
"Kid, I could buy a case of beer to chase this cough medicine down with if I wanted to, so go ahead, ask for my ID. I double dog dare you."
Fortunately for him though, he caught me at the right time of the month where I'm not completely possessed by the devil and have a little control over my actions and what I say and I let him have his moment. Because apparently he needed it and well, I'm just a giving person. No, we all know better than that. That's not why. I was worried Cameron might have coughed up a lung and I had to get home quickly......right after I dropped off Sheridan's swing at Tara's mom's house and visited for an hour.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
LOL:
"Kid, I could buy a case of beer to chase this cough medicine down with if I wanted to"
Classic.
Julie, you are so hilarious. I love your blog.
Post a Comment