Ahhh the pressure of Valentine's day. And no, this pressure doesn't stem from stressing out over what to do/get for Cameron but things associated with my TWO YEAR OLD. Last year I didn't bring Valentine's to her daycare because it just didn't dawn on me that I needed to. Fortunately, Liz and Gene saved my butt and had extra Valentine's that they filled out for Sheridan and gave to all of the kids. Thank you, thank you, thank you Liz and Gene! Lesson learned. Even if some of them can't even crawl, bring Valentines. Got it. So this year we have daycare and preschool to think about but no worries, I know what I'm doing. I bought Dora valentine cards and little individually wrapped bags of fruit snacks....because the last thing toddlers need is more sugar and energy! I wrapped them in heart goodie bags. Done. Good to go.
Sheridan's preschool daycare party is today and they had a sign up sheet for parents to bring different items for the kids to decorate cupcakes. I signed up for sprinkles because I saw the cutest ones (hearts, lips, etc. all in one big container) at Walmart a few weeks ago and I wanted to get THOSE. Well, naturally last night when I went back to Walmart to get them, they were out. I knew I should have gotten them the day I saw them but I was thinking to myself, it seems like I just made twenty batches of cupcakes for all of Sheridan's birthday celebrations, we are not making ANYMORE CUPCAKES. I DO NOT NEED THESE SPRINKLES. But now that I DID in fact, need the sprinkles it was in my mind that that was what I wanted. I wouldn't settle for anything less. This is where I went a little OCD about sprinkles and drove around to a couple of different stores looking for these "perfect" sprinkles. Perhaps it was the guilty working mom in me that thought if I brought really cute sprinkles to my kid's party it would make up for the fact that my child spends all day with other people and not me. Maybe it's the hormonal imbalance I'm experiencing due to the time of the month (Cameron's money is on this one). Or perhaps I've just lost my mind. Most likely it's the dangerous combination of all of the above. Yes, I realize Sheridan has NO CLUE that I brought anything much less that it's Valentine's Day and there's a party. I know these are self-inflicted issues and it's all in my mind, hence why I think I've lost it. So I settled for plain jane pink and red sprinkles and got over my issues with a glass of wine while baking more cupcakes.
Fast forward to this morning when I dropped Sheridan off at preschool in her cute Valentine's outfit with her goodie bags for the class. It didn't even bother me that some of the kids had brought homemade, big, beautifully decorated sugar cookies as their treat. I simply don't have time for that. What stopped me dead in my tracks were the gifts for the teachers. CRAP! I FORGOT GIFTS FOR THE TEACHERS!!! Why is there not a book for this stuff?!?! Cliff notes anyone??? I'd even settle for a checklist at this point. Maybe next year I'll remember everything...but probably not. So where's my glass of wine?
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, Julie, you crack me up! I think fruit snacks was the perfect idea too. That's a lot to remember, especially for Valentine's day! Guess I better take notes now. Valentine's gifts for the teachers is a little overboard if you ask me :) The only thing that matters is that Sheridan was happy! And she knows she has a GREAT MOM!!
Hysterical as usual!
Gifts for the teacher? Seriously? I'm so glad you are going through this before I do! I'm taking notes! ;-)
You are so funny. I dont think a gift for the teacher is really necessary for Valentine's Day. A valentine for her would be sufficient. Unless she's a really amazing teaching and you haven't done anything for her in a long time...and I'm guessing you gave her a nice little something for Christmas.
I do things like that too...obsession over just the right sprinkles. Then it hits me that in the grand scheme of things, pink and red sprinkles will do the trick.
Loved your post.
Post a Comment