Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sheridan's first day of preschool

Last week Sheridan started preschool at Council Oak on Wednesdays and Fridays thus officially beginning my career as taxi driver. She goes to preschool from 9-2 and then I pick her up and take her to daycare and head back to work. The good news is that on those days I actually make it into the office before ten o'clock. I'm very excited that she'll be in a learning environment with some structure but I was concerned/skeptical about a few things:

1. Is she going to scream bloody murder on the first day when I drop her off at her new surroundings? She didn't even notice I was there once she walked into the room full of toys.

2. Will she really sit down at the little table and eat her lunch? They are very smart at this preschool and have seat belts on the chairs to keep them in their place.

3. Is my child, who is NEVER still for more than one second, really going to lay down on a mat, in the middle of the floor, unconfined and take a nap (also something that Sheridan rarely does)?She was asleep on the mat when I picked her up! Can I bring these teachers home with me???
Here are a few pictures from the morning as I was trying to get everything all packed up with Sheridan's help :\
I promise her lunchbox doesn't weigh 100 pounds...although she makes it look like it does

Demonstrating that it's much easier to pretend it's a drumAnd she carried her backpack just long enough for me to get this shot
Guess I'll be carrying the lunchbox, backpack, sleep mat and teddy into school. Anything else?

When I picked her up in the afternoon the teachers said she had a great day! I was very impressed to find a daily report in her diaper bag that told me everything she did that day. Very official. Her teacher (Miss April) said she was very busy! No kidding. I'm glad to know she doesn't reserve that just for us! On the "diaper section" next to the times and what lovely surprises they get to change it said 'sat on potty'. What? They're going to potty train my kid too! I heart this school!

My friend Sara's little girl, Natalie also goes to Council Oak on the same days Sheridan does but she's in the 2 year old class. Sara called me while we were making the trek to daycare and shared with me her conversation with Natalie:

Sara: "Did you see Sheridan today at preschool?"

Natalie: "Yes. She was running all around."

Sara: "Where was she running around?"

Natalie: "On the playground. Miss Tonia was trying to take her picture but she wouldn't be still long enough."

Now THAT sounds like my child.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome post! She is super cute and her outfit is so 'her'.

The Smallwood Family said...

awww....I just want to give her a hug. She looks so grown up there :( I love Natalie's comment - "she was running all around" - now that is my niece! Mom will be happy you are starting the first day of school picture tradition :)

Love you!

Kelly said...

No way! She looks so grown up! How totally adorable. I'm sure she had a blast too. What a nice little treat for both of you!