This past weekend Sarah and Cal came into town with Savannah and we practically lived at my parent's house so I could hold that sweet baby girl as much as humanly possible. I didn't get to see Sheridan's reaction the first time she met her cousin (because I was at work) but Sarah was able to capture the moment on video as Sheridan gave Savannah a kiss. Sheridan pretty much went about her business as usual and was not phased by the presence of Savannah until one time when she noticed my mom holding Savannah. She quickly ran over to her saying "Mimi, Mimi"(which she has recently started calling my mom) and was trying to climb on her for a piggy back ride to ensure that she was still her Mimi. Perhaps we need to start working on sharing. Here are some pictures from the weekend.
Getting ready for a piggy back ride (yes, these are very popular in our house)

Savannah smiles a lot now and especially during her baths

This weekend brought by many visitors to see the new baby but I was lousy at taking pictures of everyone. When Nan and Gerry came by, Sarah and I ran a quick errand to Babies r' Us and Target. Thus no picture. The Scott's came over on Saturday evening and the guys congregated in the kitchen with some beer while the rest of us fought over holding Savannah. I was busy fighting for my turn, thus not many pictures except when I took a brief timeout for a beer.
Sunday we went back to my country roots to Gatesville, Texas for the Sheridan family reunion. This is my maternal grandfather's side of the family and my memories in this town are my revised version (minus the whole adultery thing and unfortunately, Harry Connick, Jr.) of the movie Hope Floats. Small town, big 4th of July celebrations and chasing fireflies in the park, my great-grandmother's house with the front porch swing and pedestal bathtubs and vegetable garden in the backyard, and huge, home cooked meals where fat/calories/grease were of no concern. I still need to reference the family tree every year because there are SO MANY OF THEM and it's hard to remember who belongs to who, especially when the "kids" (like my sister and I) are having kids! The reunions are bittersweet now because while it's great to see everyone, it also reminds me of those that aren't with us anymore and their presence is greatly missed.
Sunday we went back to my country roots to Gatesville, Texas for the Sheridan family reunion. This is my maternal grandfather's side of the family and my memories in this town are my revised version (minus the whole adultery thing and unfortunately, Harry Connick, Jr.) of the movie Hope Floats. Small town, big 4th of July celebrations and chasing fireflies in the park, my great-grandmother's house with the front porch swing and pedestal bathtubs and vegetable garden in the backyard, and huge, home cooked meals where fat/calories/grease were of no concern. I still need to reference the family tree every year because there are SO MANY OF THEM and it's hard to remember who belongs to who, especially when the "kids" (like my sister and I) are having kids! The reunions are bittersweet now because while it's great to see everyone, it also reminds me of those that aren't with us anymore and their presence is greatly missed.My mom's cousin also has a daughter named Sheridan and every year I try to get a picture of them together. However, my Sheridan was less than cooperative and this is the best one I got.
And I held Savannah more
Until her mom wanted a turn
This picture makes me smile even though it also makes me feel old.
I'm a dork and was very pleased when my little family was all matchy-matchy because it will make for a great scrapbook page!
I'm sure Sheridan was thinking something along the lines of "Really? You want me to be still AND look at the camera AND smile? I think you're asking entirely too much of me."
Love. This. Face.
And I can't make a trip to Gatesville without a visit to my grandfather's resting place. I don't think I can formulate into words the overwhelming feelings that come over me when I think of everything my daughter's name means to me because of this amazing man, who I miss dearly.

5 comments:
What a touching post!! Most family reunions are a bit more, how do we say, dramatic. Your family seems so sweet and loving ... and well, normal. You must feel extremely blessed. :)
what great pictures you got! Please send them my way :) I thought a lot about Grandaddy on the drive back home - Gatesville just personifies him and I wish so much he could have met our husbands and daughters - but like we say he lives on in our hearts and in Sheridan's name, so glad you chose it. Love you!!
I think that everyone in Gatesville comes to the reunion, who counts anymore. I love seeing the pictures of you girls and your babies..doesn't make me feel old, just HAPPY
Wonderful pictures, Julie, and what a sweet and beautiful tribute to your grandpa and his legacy. Sheridan is now an even more special name to me for your girl. Your new little niece is adorable as ever. How exciting, and congrats to Sarah and Cal.
very sweet!
Post a Comment