Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sheridan family reunion

Every year on the third Sunday of September is the Sheridan family reunion in Gatesville, Texas. It's my mom's dad's (are you following me?) side of the family. I remember going to these reunions for as long as I can remember and they have certainly changed over the years. There are many faces that we miss now and many new faces that we look forward to seeing. When my grandfather was alive he lived for these reunions! Family was absolutely the most important thing to him. I remember he would always try to get me to talk to my 2nd cousins that were close to my age but I was very shy about it....hard to believe I know! But I was. Well they too are grown up now with kids of their own and my grandad would be proud of me...Star (one of the 2nd cousins) and I had a great conversation this year. I even got her email address. Speaking of...I need to email her for the recipe of the dessert she brought to the reunion. It was delish!

Picture with my mom's aunts, Evelyn (far left) and Nita (middle)
Such a serious face for Cameron
me and Dawn
My mom's cousin, Gary, also named his daughter Sheridan after his grandparents (my great-grandparents). His Sheridan is 10 years old. We thought it was so funny when we got to the reunion and saw that the other Sheridan was also wearing pink with black polka dots. Definitely a photo op!
Sheridan and her dad, Gary
We always go to the cemetery where my grandfather is buried while we're in Gatesville. This year we went before the reunion and I did not like that there weren't any flowers on his grave. It was very depressing and made me sad. So after the reunion I had Cameron take me to Walmart (the only store in town) so I could buy some and then we headed back out to the cemetery. After I was done I thought his headstone looked much brighter and cheerful! I was happy!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

This post gave me goose bumps! How nice to have the family reunions still going on, Julie. That was so cute that the two Sheridan's showed up in the same colors and pattern--pink and black polka dots. That's such a coincidence. I had no idea where Sheridan's name came from, and like it even more than I already did..and I liked it a lot before!

Your grandpa is probably smiling now too...the flowers are so cheerful. Good call.