Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The card says it all....

Yesterday I turned thirty-two, another year into my thirties. The age I thought was so grown up, mature, and responsible when I was twenty-three and right out of college. Only, that can't possibly be me. I can't possibly have reached that stage of my life already. Clearly, I haven't made much progress since last year. But then I received the following card from my husband and I realized, that's exactly where I am and I couldn't be happier.

Once there was this guy.
A nice guy, really.
And he met this girl.
An incredible girl - truly amazing.
So naturally the guy falls
head over heels in love with her,
and pretty soon they're picking out
china patterns and rings
and there's a wedding
and the starry-eyed couple
rides off into what will surely
be a rosy future.

Okay, so now some time has passed
and the guy is living in that future.
He's still married to this girl,
but now their life includes a lot of stuff-
appliances and bills and loads of laundry
and home repairs projects.
But between all the to-dos and have-tos,
there are these moments
when the guy stops for a minute
and looks around him.

He looks at his wife,
who is still truly amazing,
he looks at their life together,
all the ways and different directions it's grown,
he looks at all the responsibilities he's got,
and he thinks to himself,
so this is my life.

And then he thinks,
I am one helluva lucky guy.

Happy Birthday!

I love you!
Cameron
(I think the cards says it all)

Not only am I married to the sweetest man ever, but he's pretty damn smart, too!

6 comments:

The Smallwood Family said...

awww that's cute. I can't really believe you are thirty-two either - glad you had a good birthday :) Love you!!

Mimi Burleson said...

damn cameron - i'm impressed!!

Shaunna said...

32 isn't so bad! At least you've got one sweet husband who knows how to pick cards! I got all teary eyed ;)

Annemarie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Hope you had a great one!!

Kelly said...

What an awesome card. Yep, he's a brilliant man. Happy birthday, Julie!

Love, love, love you! --Kelly

Melissa Darst said...

Happy Birthday Julie!! That was such a sweet card. Did he write that himself or just find that perfect card? Either way - you ARE lucky. Hope you had lots of fun celebrating!