Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Rhyme and Reason

Yesterday reiterated why I am not a stay at home mom. I simply don't think I have the patience for it day in and day out. By 6:20 when Cameron got home from work I had just finished feeding Sheridan dinner and that activity zapped every last bit of energy and patience I had left. One would think that with Sheridan contained in her chair that I would be able to cook dinner and drink a much needed glass of wine while she ate. Not so much. It was just as exhausting as if she were running around the house, getting into everything she shouldn't be while I try to control her shenanigans. Between trying to monitor her actually feeding herself as opposed the dogs that are permanently camped out at her feet and trying to teach her some sort of manners, like how we don't put our feet on the dinner table, there is simply no time for trying to multi-task and cook dinner for myself and Cameron. So in walks Cameron, fresh from working out, and within 5 minutes makes some sort of comment/remark about every room in the house being a wreck. What I heard was 'why didn't you clean the house today, you were off all day?"

Hold please while I try not to explode. Oops. Too late. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Let's review today's events shall we. I have been going non-stop ALL day. Sheridan and I dropped off a prescription at HEB, went to the cleaners, and went to the outlet mall to try to pay the Banana Republic bill (which BTW, you cannot do in the store I found out and it is also particularly difficult to contain a certain toddler in a store when you forgot the stroller AT HOME). We took a short break (and I use the word 'break' loosely) to come home and eat lunch, then we went to several different stores to get birthday presents, and then onto HEB where Sheridan proceeded to drop a trail of goldfish throughout the entire store and would not sit down in the cart, which had a few employees quite concerned and they were sure to share with me that I shouldn't let her fall out of the cart. I'm so glad they set me straight because for a second I thought about letting her fall and considering it tough love or a life lesson. And if you weren't already aware of this, getting Sheridan in and out of the car forty-seven times is an exhausting process in and of itself. So when will the house be cleaned, dear? On Friday. When Brandi comes. (Note to readers: Brandi is our maid, who I'm actually thinking about adopting.)

Upon witnessing the steam shooting out of my ears and veins popping in my forehead, Cameron realized the fragile state of mind I was in and quickly acted to the benefit of everyone involved. He scooped Sheridan up and took her outside to play while he watered the flowerbeds and I did yoga while I daydreamed about going to work the next day and having lunch with my girlfriends and dinner with my HH group of friends. And just like that, peace and balance were restored in the Treece household.

1 comment:

Shaunna said...

OMG- I love it!! When will the house be clean dear? When Brandy comes - Classic!!!